Physiotherapists provide services to a wide range of people affected by injury, illness or disability and aims to restore optimal movement and function through exercise.
- Improves the recovery rate of patients who have undergone surgery
- promotes self- management by the patient which empowers them in their healing and recovery process
- facilitates peak movement and peak mobility for the patient so that they can live independent lives and are not as dependent on community support and resources.
All patients must be admitted for in-patient rehabilitation, from a referring hospital, under the care of a medical consultant, in order to be referred for physiotherapy in Clontarf Hospital.
All patients will receive a physiotherapy assessment following admission.
Clontarf Hospital have a dynamic, professional and friendly team committed to providing the following:
- helping people achieve their full potential following injury, pain or disability
- providing a holistic service that is accessible and effective
- undertaking research and training to improve our service and
- providing a service that is based on high standards of care and practice
Following an initial physiotherapy assessment, each individual's treatment plan is tailored to suit their specific requirements. Individual rehabilitation goals are discussed and agreed with the patient and are regularly reviewed and updated as required.
Physiotherapy sessions can be ward or gym based. The location, frequency and regularity of treatment sessions are dependent on clinical need. Clontarf Hospital has a large, spacious, well-equipped gym on the ground floor and patients who require the use of this facility are brought to the gym, at their allocated treatment time, by the physiotherapy porters. The physiotherapists also lead daily group exercise classes on the wards. focusing on general muscle strengthening and joint range of movement, functional rehabilitation, balance and gait re-education and health promotion. The physiotherapy team hold regular “Falls Prevention and Management “education sessions on each ward and patients and carers are invited to attend.
The physiotherapy department is based in the physiotherapy gym in the out- patient area adjacent to the hospital reception desk.
We are open from 08:00 to 16:00 Monday to Thursday and until 15:30 on Fridays.
For any queries about the physiotherapy service in Clontarf Hospital please contact us at 01 8332521 and ask for the Physiotherapy Department.
Please note that the physiotherapy service in Clontarf Hospital is available to in-patients only -we unfortunately do not have an out-patient service.
The physiotherapy department provides undergraduate clinical placements for physiotherapy students from Trinity College Dublin.