The Clontarf Hospital forms an integral part of the Hospital Care Programme of the Health Services. It is a hospital providing step down facilities to the acute hospitals in the Dublin area and is located in Clontarf on the Northside of the city. It provides services for Beaumont Hospital, the Mater Hospital, Connolly Memorial, St. Vincents, Cappagh and St. James’ Hospital.
The hospital also provides an out-patient x-ray service. An average of 1,500 patients per year are admitted for post-surgery care and rehabilitation. The Clontarf Hospital currently has a bed capacity of 128, with a further 32 bed ward due to open in the future.
The hospital and dispensary were originally founded in 1876 by Dr. Robert Lafayette Swan at 11 Usher's Island on Dublin's Quays for childrens cases of club foot, spinal &
hip problems. In 1883, due to demand, the hospital moved to Great Brunswick Street, to a site formerly known as Hoods's Hotel capable of holding 35 paediatric beds.
In 1902 the hospital moved to 22 Upper Merrion Street which was adapted to accommodate 75 beds and associated rooms. The house was one of the largest private mansions in Dublin formerly occupied by Captain Sheddon.
The hospital moved to its present location in Castle Avenue, Clontarf on 29th June, 1942. In 1972 with the development of orthopaedic centres for children nationwide, the hospital changed from treating paediatric to adult orthopaedic rehabilitation.
Today’s Clontarf Hospital was built mainly between 1994 and 2009. The hospital comprises of 5 wards, a gymnasium, an x-ray department, occupational therapy department and out-patients department.